On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, N7MAL wrote:
> Forgive me for asking a stupid question and throwing water on
> everyone's parade but has anyone published a copy of the documents,
> signed by F&W, authorizing the KP5 operation...???...

I have never seen ANY documents published showing that any given
DXpedition was legal.  I am assuming the proper documents were submitted
to ARRL.  Unlike some people, I do have some trust in the ARRL and
believe they had a valid reason to OK the operation.  ARRL is not going
to publish the documents.

It doesn't matter to me whether or not it's even "legal", as far
as dxcc approval is concerned.  The fact remains that someone, somewhere,
wields the strength to make a call to the "gubmint" and stop someone from operating
their radio(s). That's the thing that troubles me.

Now if it was completely unauthorized, then that would have been a lil
different I guess. But I read the article, and all the permissions were there.

I tend to believe that another dxpedition person got their feelings hurt.
This operation came together in record time, on short notice. I think it
took someone by suprise, and they didn't like that.  There are a lot of
big egos in Amateur Radio.

If it was a genuine mistake, I TRULY believe that the person would have
made an apology to K3LP and N3KS.  I think they would have relayed that
apology to the world from this person... if it was an honest mistake. The lack
of any further news on this front dispels this theory, in my mind.

I agree that time will flush out the whole back story on this.

Who wants to be the next operator to set foot on Desecheo? -hi