Charles et al, it is my understanding that most (all?) newer modern (e.g.,
within the past ten years) radios use EEPROMs (Electrically Erasable
Programmable Read-Only Memory) in lieu of "memory batteries" to preserve
settings, menu items, etc. A form of EEPROMs are Flash Memory cards used in
digital cameras, computers, memory "sticks", video games, etc. which are the
type probably found in up-to-date rigs. None of my three current Kenwoods
(TS-2000, TM-261, TM-G707) have memory batteries which need to be replaced; the
EEPROMs keep menu items and settings in place when the power supply is
disconnected. Alternatively, I have two older Kenwood TS-50s in which I have
had to replace the memory batteries about once every five years or so. While it
was not as much of a PITA as you describe for your TS-231, it still required
disassembly, desolder of the old batteries, and hard solder of the new
batteries into place. Worse, they were special (proprietary?) batteries only
available from Kenwood and they weren't cheap.

Some details:  http://computer.howstuffworks.com/rom5.htm

[Note: I am no longer a radio engineer, have been out of the loop for too many
years, so the above description and utilization of EEPROMs (which had not been
developed when I was active) may not be entirely accurate. Also, I have heard
there is, or has been some use of very slow discharge RC circuits to replace
memory batteries; I do not know if this is still being done.]

HTH.

73 de Fred K2FRD

\
--