From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Charles Harpole
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 23:35
To: dx-chat@njdxa.org
Subject: [DX-CHAT] Desecheo I. mess

The recent ham radio visit to Desecheo Island appears to have resurfaced as
a messy situation now having US Congressional attention.  Resources
Committee Ranking Democrat U.S. Rep. Nick
J. Rahall is identified with a staff report on the matter dated apparently
June 20, 2006, with the title "Club Fed...."  If one reads this total
report, one conclusion is that, regardless of the final outcomes, ham radio
has received a huge black eye over this matter.  This is not the kind of
image we want and obviously will do our fraturnity no good in the future.

As an ARRL member (Life), I suggest that the DXCC approval for this
operation be immediately reexamined with the distinct possibility of
reversing the previous and dubious DXCC approval (based on a tape recorded
verbal statement?) and a notice be made, if found justified, that this
operation does not represent the vast majority of world-wide law-abiding ham

radio operators.  Perhaps Desecheo I. should be permanently removed from the

DXCC list to avoid future such problems.

If this Congressional report is correct, the ham radio community must take
swift action to condemn this kind of activity and encourage no more like it
ever in the future.

I realize I risk raising the ire of other radio hams by raising this issue
that we likely all wish would just go away.  But, it is not going away and
in fact is now even more at the forefront of governmental attention.  I
appeal to the ham radio community to act in our defense so that other
DXpeditions and all hams are not tar-ed with a nasty brush.   73,

Charles Harpole
[EMAIL PROTECTED]