Clip from today's Sunday Telegraph....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/sudan/6034690/South-Sudan-faces-new-war-over-oil.html
It seems that some things never change.  I've frequently heard an argument that
the worst thing that the old colonial powers did was to put Africans in charge
of Africa.  It's not an opinion that I hold (actually I think it was just done
badly), but examples that spring to mind are the chaos and bloodshed in Rwanda,
Burundi, Nigeria/Biafra, Ghana, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Angola, Somalia, Eritrea,
Zaire, Western Sahara, Central African Republic etc ... and of course the
biggest basket case of the all: Zimbabwe, once the bread basket of Africa and
now what?
It does make me wonder whether the current outbreak of troubles in Southern
Sudan is just tribal squabbling.  Conspiracy theorists (and those who know how
China operates) may point the finger in their direction, particularly if
there's oil and other mineral resuorce at stake.  As we know, the Chinese have
no morals when it comes to dealing anyone who'll sell them what they need at a
knock-down price....
I wonder if the referendum of independence for South Sudan will really go
ahead?  One thing's for certain:  It'll be a brave bunch of guys who mount a
DXpedition there!
food for thought, eh?
cheers
Dave G0OIL