SpotCollector is a freeware application that captures spots from up to 4
internet-accessible telnet clusters and the #CQDX IRC channel, which has
a spot feed from the DX Summit cluster. SpotCollector creates a single
database entry for each spotted station, merging both identical spots
from different sources and multiple spots of the same station at the
same frequency. It provides sophisticated real-time filtering and
sorting of the resulting database, and can optionally color the database
display to highlight stations with whom QSOs are needed to achieve your
Dxing objectives.

SpotCollector attempts to discern the location of the spotting station
from that station's callsign -- it uses this information to support
"origin filtering", e.g. "just show me 6m spots originating from the
west coast of North America". As you point out, callsigns are not
reliable indicators of location. A scheme such as the one you suggest,
if standardized and practiced widely, would eliminate this problem
without the more computationally-expensive "look up the spotting station
in a callbook, and determine his or her location from the postal code".
I suggest using Maidenhead Gridsquare as your position indicator.

To permit applications like SpotCollector to automatically parse the
information, I suggest enclosing your code in angle brackets, e.g.
<1.D.8.CM87.6> .

If there is serious interest in your approach, I will extend
SpotCollector to detect this code and appropriately utilize the spotting
station's location. I will also enable a user to specify his or her
information in a configuration dialog, and automatically append the code
to each spot the user posts without requiring the information to be
manually entered each time.

You might add a few more antenna designators: V for vertical, I for
inverted-V, L for longwire, H for horizontal loop, T for delta loop, and
P for log periodic.

Additional information about SpotCollector is available via
www.qsl.net/spotcollector .

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ