-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alan Zack
Sent: 22 February 2006 02:30
To: Duane A Calvin
Cc: dx4win@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Dx4win] Internet Callsign Lookup

I'm not sure if I fully understand the question but it seems to work
fine for me.  The only complaint I have is that the CALLSIGN/MGR LOOKUP
window does not automatically open with the rest of the windows when you

start up DX4WIN.  I wish it would.  Each time I start DX4WIN I hit F3 to

open the window and leave it open.  When I log a call or do a search for

a call then that call will appear in the F3 CALLSIGN window.  The info
from the RAC then appears in the large F3 window as well as any QSL Mgr
info from the GOLIST.  If the CTY file contains a QSL Mgr for this call
then it will appear in the QSL MGR box.  Then I can move my cursor
behind either call and hit enter and the QRZ.COM page for entry for that

call opens and appears.  That allows me to compare the RAC/GOLIST  info
against the QRZ.COM info.  I can then go to the mailing label link for
the call on QRZ.COM, highlight the address, then cut and paste the
address into the QSL MGR box on the main window or do the same with the
GOLIST address shown in the F3 window.  If there is no QSL Mgr then I
cut and paste the address for the actual call here.  That way my QSL
labels will have the QSO info plus an address label for mailing the QSL
card.  It all works pretty smoothly once you get used to it.  If anyone
knows any shortcuts please share.
73, Alan, K7ACZ

Duane A Calvin wrote:

>Dick's response echos my experience also.  F3 to bring up the Lookup
>window with response from your callsign database on your PC, and any
>manager lookups (I use GOLIST which works great).  Then, with this
window
>active, hit "Enter" and it will send the same request to QRZ.COM and a
>browser window will open and you'll see the info there.  I think this
is
>documented somewhere, but not sure where.
>
>        73,  Duane
>

>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:35:46 -0800 Dick Flanagan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>writes:
>

>>At 03:02 PM 2/21/2006, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>> >I think you have to hit F3 twice.  I was going to write an
>>application note
>> >about this, but just have not had time.
>>
>>My experience is this:
>>
>>Let's say you have three sources of information:  (A) local call
>>sign
>>lookup on a CD or local disk; (B) QSL manager lookup on a local
>>disk; and
>>(C) Internet access to call sign information on QRZ.com.
>>
>>Hitting F3 while in the logging window will bring up a window
>>showing the
>>results from (A) and (B).  If you then hit Return, it will bring up
>>your
>>browser that will display the results from (C).
>>
>>What I gather from this is that DX4WIN cannot extract data from the
>>QRZ.com
>>web site, but it can from known-format databases on your local
>>system.  This makes sense when you think about how difficult it
>>would be
>>for DX4WIN to duplicate the HTTP functions necessary to access a web
>>site
>>and then to parse through all of the web site noise to actually
>>identify
>>where the name and address are.  What it can do, however, is invoke
>>your
>>browser and direct it go to QRZ.com to display the appropriate call
>>sign
>>information for you to interpret.
>>
>>What I do is use both QRZ.com and GOLIST databases on my local
>>computer and
>>then call up QRZ.com on the Internet to look for any last minute
>>changes.
>>
>>73, Dick
>>

>>--
>>Dick Flanagan K7VC NV SM
>>E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscgradio.net
http://www.comm-one.org