No this is not necessary.

To those of us with more than 2 radios... often the case when active on
VHF/UHF... it is just necessary to be able to easily select which radio
is Radio 1 or Radio 2 as a start. This is implemented in most
competitive logging programs.... hot switching more than 2 would be even
better... usually radios VHF UHF have their own antennas/amps so the
SO2R RF switching is not necessary... however I like your idea for
expanding the LPT control. I can imagine many useful functions such as
routing the Mic or Key as well as RF routing.