On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Mel <ve...@videotron.ca> wrote:
> You need to do the install as administrator. However,  I don't believe
> you have to set it to "Run as Administrator". In any case you may want
> to disable UAC... it's a pain in the neck and not really necessary on a
> home computer.

Under Windows 7, UAC alerts are rather infrequent and usually indicate
that something serious is happening. Please don't disable UAC as it's
is the only thing protecting you from a number of widespread attacks
on the net that will try drive-by installs of botnet control software.
And no, anti-virus won't always protect you. The fact that you
absolutely need this on home computers is clearly demonstrated by the
millions of botnet machines out there. Don't disable UAC, please. Or,
if you must, don't use that machine to surf the web or read e-mail.

Unfortunately, Windows Vista is a different story - UAC is much more
annoying and much more frequently popping up. Still, it's a necessary
line of defense to keep drive-by downloads off your machine.

DX4WIN probably requires administrative permissions to install the
drivers it uses for rig control, etc. Once those are installed, it
should be able to work without UAC getting in the way.

If you're getting too many UAC popups on Windows 7, you're probably
doing something risky. The way DX4WIN works is risky (application data
and program files mixed together), so expect Windows to complain.  :-)
73,
    -Rick
--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA