I have a similar problem to yours and here are the limited results of my troubleshooting, for what it's worth:

A few years ago, out of the blue and after years of using the same station setup, I began having radio time-outs while using DX4Win. I eventually traced the problem and was able to consistently reproduce it by playing any video heavy content in my web browser (Firefox). Browsing normal page content that does not require heavy use of the video card does not cause time-outs. I can't pinpoint the date when this started happening, so I have no idea whether it was caused by video card driver updates, automatic Windows resources change, DX4Win version change or whatever else. However, a similar thing occurs while using N1MM+ with a slight but important difference: in this case, I get error messages on the N1MM+ status bar saying "Radio sent invalid CAT data", but there is no radio comms loss, i.e. it still reads frequencies and talks to my radio. I don't know if this applies to your scenario. I simply got used to living with this and I make sure I don't watch video content while leaving DX4Win in the Real Time Entry mode. I suspect something somewhere in the Windows video settings interferes with the COM port setup, but I can't be bothered to go deep diving in there. I attempted to change DX4Win radio polling to make it the same as N1MM+ without success.

I hope this helps before you go crazy reinstalling all kinds of software.

73,

Zoran WA7AA

thanks Larry, yes, that is the way I always start up in the morning.... computer on first... loads up and running, then I turn on the radio and out board items, then open either DX4WIN or Writelog .... shut down the opposite nite time. When I get a time out event, if I close DX4WIN and re-open all works for a while but eventually it times out. Wierd part is Writelog, microHam router, radio/amp and computer no problem. Thinking about doing a re-install of DX4WIN 9.0.9 but I always get extremely nervous when messing around with software.... usually a cussing fit going to happen somewhere .... then the wifie tells me I should have known better! .... hopefully this thing will self correct but who am I kidding? lol, 73's Cort K4WI

LARRY MALLEK <mailto:lmal...@roadrunner.com>
Thursday, November 12, 2020 11:40 AM

*CORT: MY SYSTEM DOES THE SAME THING IF I DO NOT HAVE THE RADIO ON BEFORE TURNING DX4WIN ON. IF THE RADIO IS ON THEN I DO NOT HAVE THE PROBLEM. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AS IT WAS A WHILE BEFORE I FOUND THE SAME THING HERE.  BEST TO YOU AND YOUR AND STAY SAFE. DE LARRY - K6YUI *