Hi All,
If I understand it correctly Dyninst uses ptrace to connect and modify the
mutatee. I want to check how much overhead it causes at runtime to mutate an
instrumentation point. Also I am interested in getting overhead of a trampoline
at runtime. Are there any existing benchmarks for these I can run to get these
number? If that's not the case I would really appreciate any tips for coming up
with these benchmarks being new to the project.
I think for trampoline overhead one I can time call loop for an empty function
(inlined) with an entry instrumentation. For the first one I think measuring
elapsed time between processAttach and continueExecution would do the trick. Am
I correct? Just want to make sure I am thinking correctly on this.
Also I was wondering if there was way to do the dynamic instrumentation
"in-band" if that makes sense. (Like using a separate thread in the same
process so that there is no need to have a separate mutator process to do it.)
RegardsChan