At 8:43 AM -0700 10/5/00, Khurram Khan wrote:

>This is reason enough for all market makers to have a strict policy
>on fraud.  There is a strong need today for an "organization" of
>market makers and/or merchants.  So, if something like this happens
>we have a stronger word when it comes to getting e-gold to freeze
>accounts and maybe even giving our money back.

I find it somewhat ironic that there is such an interest in
'stifling' the freedom of e-gold.  What ever happened to personal
responsibility?  If you're tired of being scammed then be more
careful.  Verify the validity of incoming funds.  If being careful
means that you have to make your customer's wait a long time for
their e-gold accounts to be funded then that's life.  If you want to
impress customers with your blinding speed then *you* are assuming
the risk.  I understand that there are situations (due mainly to
insane US banking laws) where no reasonable amount of waiting can
prevent being screwed.  That's just part of business unfortunately.
You can always choose to just accept cash (better check for
counterfeits) on a face to face basis to be ultrasafe.

A market maker "lobbyist group" simply can't prevent credit card or
check fraud. Moreover, I don't think it's up to e-gold to hold
anyones hand if they accept fraudulent funds.  By all means, get
together, drink beer and share bogus CC numbers, bank account
numbers, etc....  Create a distributed database with this info and
then share it until the cows come home!  Form an alliance!  Just
leave e-gold out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't personally condone fraud or
scams, but those will always exist so long as there are holes in
banking systems and people willing to exploit them.

Mike