>I personally am VERY skeptical about giving mine
>over the Internet no matter WHO is asking and
>HOW secure they claim to be. I prefer to mail it
>by snail mail.

Interesting. I personally have always been more comfortable providing my
details over a 128-bit encrypted SSL session than providing them
over-the-counter or through-the-mail. But perhaps that's just me ...
seeing as I've spent the last five years putting financial institutions on
the Internet. (In December 1995, I was part of a team that put St George
Bank, in Australia, on the Internet. We followed up by putting Australia's
then-largest bank on the Internet. So far so good: no security breaches.)

>Is there a chance that a drivers
>license and/or SS card can be photocopied and
>notarized as proof of identity? This may ease
>some of the privacy buffs concerns about
>hackers hitting the SR on-line databases.

Eric, hackers won't find SSNs or other identity details online. We retain
online only the information required to operate the account.