On Mon, 14 May 2001, Samuel Mc Kee wrote:

> > Send the money to get something for nothing is "certainly a scam." Well,
> > isn't this what you do when you invest in stocks, futures, etc.?  ;-)
> >

> In logic that's called a straw man: Claim someone has taken a
> different, more easily attackable, position than he has actually taken and
> attack that position instead of addressing what he actually said.
>
> Firstly, I didn't say "something for nothing." I said "fantastic returns"
> for nothing. Secondly, if you read the rest of the post--which you
> conveniently snipped so as not to confuse anyone with facts--it is obvious
> that by "for nothing" I mean without working.
>
> Sheesh.

Sorry for the offense and sorry for my inaccurate quote.  I did not intend
to put words in your mouth. I was just giving an idea which I hoped would
be taken lightly and loosely by my putting a wink at the end. My point was
not in trying to attack whatever position you presented (which I respect),
but rather to show that you CAN earn fantastic returns without working.

How?  I gave the example of stocks.  You buy stocks, do nothing, and earn
fantastic returns.  I know this does not happen all the time, but again,
my point is the possibility, and not having to work.  I was told in
another post that one needs to work to succeed in stocks, and I agree.
However, many who invest in stocks just let other people do the work:
analysts, their neighbors, the latest rumor, etc.  Whether it's right or
wrong is not the point. Rather, they just put in some money and don't
work.  And some have had fantastic returns.

Again, my apologies.  I was being lighthearted about the whole thing and
did not intend any offense.

Gerry