>>>I still think anyone who sends money up front without having any idea
about the seller (e-Bay has a perfectly good system of feedback on sellers,
they have escrow facilities etc etc) basically only has themselves to blame.
It is not something any person with half a brain would do, unless perhaps
they are taking a calculated risk because it seems like such a great deal. I
am fed up with us legitimate e-gold users who have nothing to do with online
auctions having to put up with these idiots being used an excuse for less
privacy all the time. <<<

OK, but how does the Exchange Service stop the police from being called by
those who get scammed, over and over again, with accusations that YOU are
the thief? It's not possible to continue to do business in that kind of
environment.

> I think the only way that e-gold can be safely sold anonymously, is if the
> buyer pays for it anonymously.

I don't understand what you mean here??? Sounds like the perfect system to
me, but it's not like the same person buys gold and then sells the same gold
again. <<<

What I mean is, is that as long as the e-gold seller doesn't know the buyer,
and the buyer makes a traceable payment to the seller, then the seller has
to identify the buyer. There's no way for the buyer to make a payment
without a traceable payment, other than walking in with cash in hand.

The biggest problem with fraud on the internet is not that it's extremely
widespread. The problem is that fraud focuses on areas which allow the thief
to conduct his activities in anonymity. Thieves who have found a way to
achieve theft successfully, will try to push as much money as they can
through the security holes they've uncovered. For someone selling a physical
product, large scale theft through one person is difficult, because they
have to take delivery of the product. For someone selling an internet
currency, large scale theft is quite easy when a security breech is found.
An entire year's profit can be wiped out within a short time by a thief
making multiple average purchases, disguising himself as many different
buyers. The low markups on internet currencies exacerbate this problem. If
an internet currency is marked up 4%, then when a thief manages to steal
$1000 from a seller, the seller has to resell $25,000 to new buyers, just to
cover his loss.

SnowDog