[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Davidson) wrote on 01-11-2001 11:51:03 PM:
<SNIP>
>Guido Farrugia writes:
>>What can i do for you?  If you are interested in a job vacancy, then
>
>Do people still take jobs?  Isn't that somewhat 20th Century?
>
>On the other hand, I would think a body of business activity would
>be a fine thing to auction on GoldBarter.com.  Post the job
>description and see what people want to be paid for it.  Hmm.
>That would require a reverse auction where the bids go from high
>to low....
<SNIP>

The trouble with auctioning a job vacancy is that there are really two
separate valealuations needed. So long as the product or service is of
a verifiable standard, then it is reasonable to expect an auction for
the lowest price (on the part of job seekers bidding), or for the
highest price (on the part of employers bidding for an employee) to be
the objective way to select the candidate (or the employer). However,
in most circumstances, the quality of the employee may be so variable
that a bid of USD$15K pa from one is not really cheaper for the
employer than a bid of USD$50K pa from another!

There may be some types of mundane jobs, with set qualifications (that
bidders can be known to have) where a simple auction (even a dutch
auction to fill a number of equivalent jobs, maybe an entry-level
intake for a large corporation) can fill the vacancy. For example:
"Dutch auction, twenty jobs for school crossing supervisors in XX city.
Subsequent promotion by merit!" Bids by unqualified bidders though,
would ruin the auction, yielding a different outcome for the successful
bidders, even though some of the initial winners may be later
disqualified (or fired after commencing work and proving unsatisfactory.
)

Did you know that e-metal is a wonderful holiday gift? Avoid the hassle this year!