> (From  Noël
> Password  or wuli)
>
> Responding about [EMAIL PROTECTED] uses a signature that quotes Harry
> Truman,
>  "Men make history and not the other way around. In periods where there is
> no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurs when courageous,
> skillful  leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better."

Hi Noël,

I agree with you this is an ugly statement.

His first sentence can be said correct, but the men I see making history are
probably different from the ones he had in mind.

The second sentence is dead wrong.
The proof was delivered in Europe long ago, when in many areas nearly all
the aristocracy was wiped out by the black plague.
With all these "skillful leaders" removed Europe immediately entered a long
period of peace and creativity which started the renaissance.
This shows that progress occurs much faster when all these so called
courageous leaders are out of the way and people are left to themselves to
better their lives.

The problem with these leaders is that even when they start by trying to
change things for the better, as soon as they become established their
business model changes and they start preventing change and protecting the
status quo in an attempt to secure their power position.
This effectively stops or reverses all progress.

Man is not made to be led. That is an insult.
Man is made to lead himself and only himself , and not others unless they
ask him personally.
Forcing leadership unto somebody unaskedly is to be considered a grave
crime.

Democracy makes that mistake too.
Democracy is a really bad idea.
Democracy is like asking everybody in the country what size of shoes they
want to wear and next forcing everybody to wear the compromise average size.
The result is that almost everybody in the country has trouble too walk.
Some people have painful feet every day, others are falling all the time
because the shoes are too big...

Everybody should be able to choose what amount of taxes he wants too pay and
receive the level of services that come with that.
That will be a far better guarantee for good government than these joke
elections.

Danny