At 7:25 AM -0600 1/27/03, Dale Pond wrote:
>I find this situation fairly amazing. E-gold has been in operation for
>several years now and still there is no accountability, arbitration or
>method of dispute resolution. Perhaps this is on purpose? What purpose

e-gold is just a currency. Your message both assumes a membership
function that's not there & proposes that e-gold become a certification-
authority. The account user agreement greatly circumscribes what
e-gold Ltd. *itself* can do, and this (believe it or not) protects owners
of e-gold accounts much more than if e-gold Ltd. were to try to be all-
things to all-people. There are _MANY_ opportunities involved in the
things that e-gold Ltd. does *not* do - (ask the sellers of plastic cards,
for example). Certification, accountability, protection-insurance, and
dozens of other good things would all be wonderful. Chances are, a
few piles of gold are sitting there on the ground waiting for someone
to pick them up right now, just as there were with plastic cards a few
years ago.

Consider, a faulty certification of a crooked exchange service by a
hypothetical currency (let's call it be-all/do-all-gold?). The crooks do
what that very-wily ebay crook did, and build up a great reputation
and huge book of business before taking the money and running. A
panic ensues among Be-all/do-all-gold customers...

If Be-all/do-all-gold.com is held responsible, the entire Be-all/do-all
currency dies, rather than just a single crooked exchanger...Either
choice is bad, but it's obvious which one I think is worse.
JMR