Hey, e-golders:

Been a while since I poked my head in here, but I thought some of you might
be interested in a blog I've been doing on my experiences trying to make
real money in the virtual economy of the massively multiplayer game Ultima
Online.

The blog's called Play Money (www.juliandibbell.com/playmoney), and it's
chock full of odd little parallels to the way things work in the GDC
economies. I'd suggest starting with an entry I wrote a few weeks ago,
discussing the similarities (and differences) between UO's monetary system
and the gold standard:

http://www.juliandibbell.com/playmoney/2003_05_01_playmoney_archive.html#200
322977

Some of you may also get a kick out of my attempt to figure out how the
IRS's rules on barter and prize winnings apply to UO's economy. It's your
typical take-the-IRS-at-its-word-and-see-just-how-ridiculous-things-can-get
exercise:

http://www.juliandibbell.com/playmoney/2003_06_01_playmoney_archive.html#105
614676623456397

Finally, I can't close without acknowledging that my weekly updates on key
UO market statistics (see today's entry: www.juliandibbell.com/playmoney)
are largely inspired by e-gold's far more impressive stats pages. Give it up
for Jay!

Julian