Hi everyone,

I am connecting two boxes using X520-DA2 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+
NICs and the ixgbe
driver in Linux. Those cards have two SFP+ ports. If I connect a Direct
Attach Copper cable, the carrier detection does not work correctly. As
soon as
the device in Linux is up, there is a carrier and it doesn't matter if the
device on the other box is up or down.

If I use Fibre and an SR module, the carrier detection works flawless. The
interface detects a carrier if the interface on the other box is up and
doesn't if the interface is down.

Is carrier detection properly supported with Direct Attach Copper or am I
 missing something here?

To reproduce the issue:

Connect Direct Attach cable between box1 eth0 and box2 eth0.

box1: ip link set dev eth0 up
box2: ip link set dev eth0 down

Result: box1 shows carrier on eth0
Expected: box1 does not show carrier

Connect Fibre cable and SR modules between box1 eth0 and box2 eth0.

box1: ip link set dev eth0 up
box2: ip link set dev eth0 down

Result: box1 does not show a carrier on eth0

box2: ip link set dev eth0 up

Result: box1 shows a carrier on eth0

I am using Linux 4.1.13-x86_64

> ethtool -i eth0
driver: ixgbe
version: 4.0.1-k
firmware-version: 0x61c10001
bus-info: 0000:81:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

eth0 with DA cable:
> ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
        Supported link modes:   10000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: No
        Advertised link modes:  10000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: 10000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Direct Attach Copper
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: off
        Supports Wake-on: d
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: yes

eth0 with SR and Fibre state up:
> ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
        Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Full
                                10000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  1000baseT/Full
                                10000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 10000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: FIBRE
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: d
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: yes
eth0 with SR and Fibre state down:
> ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
        Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Full
                                10000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  1000baseT/Full
                                10000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: Unknown!
        Duplex: Unknown! (255)
        Port: FIBRE
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: d
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: no

I'm glad if you can point me in any direction if I'm missing something here.
If you need any further information or need me to do some tests, please ask.

Thank you in advance,

Peter