----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob MacKillop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <early-guitar@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 2:30 AM
Subject: [EARLY-GUIT] Re: Wagner and the guitar

>I guess it needs a study of the score. I'll be performing it with Scottish
> Symphony Orchestra in late August. Apparently the song is in e minor, and
> fits the guitar like a glove. Like Schubert, Wagner may have referenced
> the
> lute whilst playing a guitar. I'll try to check out the full score during
> rehearsals, to see if the fugue does indeed use guitar tuning.
>
> Rob

I don't know about the fugue, and I don't have a score here, but if the
fugure subject was based on the tuning of the guitar it would be a series of
fourths (though perhaps an e-minor arpeggio would be enough to make the
association). Or perhaps the guitar tuning is at a lower structural level -
Ginastera based the large scale structures of entire orchestral works (the
ballet Ollantay for example), on a literal series of the open strings of the
guitar in order, each structural level appearing several minutes apart - a
compositional game of the composer rather then something a listener is
likely to likelt to pick up under a largely atonal surface.

SY