On 29/04/16 21:38, Andreas Hilboll wrote:
Hi Kenneth,

Kenneth Hoste writes:

How did you fix the problems you were running into?
You did ;)  Your addition to the wrf easyblock did the trick for me.  At
least with intel/2016a.  I still cannot build WRF with foss, but that's
another issue, as the existing WRF-3.6/foss also doesn't build on my
machine.  I'll report the issue next week, I guess, but as I have a
working WRF now, it's not high on my priority list.  And since you don't
seem to have general problems with WRF, I suppose it's somehow related
to my machine.

Definitely open an issue on this, other people may also hit the problem you're seeing...

    Now I want to
run WRF-Chem, and if I understand the documentation correctly, this is
done by

a) extracting an additional source tarball into the WRFV3 directory
b) setting some environment variables telling WRF to include the
     chemistry code

Does EasyBuild foresee a mechanism to extend easyconfigs, so that I can
build on the existing WRF easyconfig?  Or do I have to make a seperate
WRF-Chem easyconfig by copy-pasting and amending the existing WRF?
There's no "include" or "extend" mechanism for easyconfigs, no. I like
the idea though...

We've discussed something like this in the past (cfr.
https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-framework/issues/544), but what
you're asking here is sort of different.

So, you should either create a WRF-Chem easyconfig (and maybe easyblock
too, depends), or just enhance the existing WRF easyconfig/easyblock to
include WRF-Chem.

I'm not sure if the latter would actually make any sense though...
Actually, I think it would.  I'll look into extending the existing wrf
easyblock, and introduce a boolean config value `build_chemistry` or the
like in the easyconfig, defaulting to `False`.

Sounds like a plan!

regards,

Kenneth