Mary:
I have studied a little about bioregionalism, its basic concept, and
application to environmental management (e.g. ecosystem management, landscape
management, sustainable landscape and sustainable development, steady state
ecnomy). I think the idea is environmentally and ecologicaly very reasonable
and very fascinating. However, I really do not know how it could be applied to
economic and socio-cultural situation especially in U.S.
The basic concept of bioregionalism is that people are bound together in a
land or land unit in both ecologically, socially and culturaly. This is very
possible for countries where people have lived the same place for generations
and culture and society was evolved from the people who have lived in generatio
ns. The concept is based on the assumption that people, society, economy, and
culture are united or bounded in a landform (e.g. hunting gathers or agralian
society).
However, I wnoder is it true in the US where people bring cultures from there
original place where the landscape is very different from that of U.S, where
people are bound together not by land (gemainshaft, primary group) but by idea
or economics (gezelshaft, secondary group). The supreme court decision last
week on 11th district and its reaction clearly reveals that people are not
bound together through land unit in U.S. If culture and society are based on
the land unit (bioregion) then the erection district in US is much simpler.
There should not be a wiered shaped district which was formed to create a mino
rity dominant district, and which has less to do with regional unit.
I really like the idea of bioregionalism and ecosystem management. Many ecolo
gists (e.g., Golley, Zinmmerman, Naveh, M.G. Turner, R. Carrol, R. T.T. Forman
Godron, C. Forley, Costanza, Uranowits) provide excellent conceptualization of
the idea and its management. In fact, Ecoloigcal society of Americ (ESA) are
pushing toward the ecosystem management and bio0regioanl idea. Ecologically
speaking, it's a very facinating concept and I feel that we should enhance the
concept.
However, the concept is sociologically, culturally, and economically conflicti
ng in U.S. where people are highly mobile and secondary group is highly dominan
t rather than primary group. I would like to see more development on how ecofe
minism would respond and develop the idea of bioregionalism, deep ecology,
environmental ethics, ecosystem management, sustainable landscape and developme
nt.
Toshihide Hamazaki
P.S. Have anybody read Deborah Slicer's article on ecofeminism-deep ecology
debate in Environmental Ethics Vol. 15? I would like to hear inputs from the
net.
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sun Jul 2 10:10:07 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 00:18:00 +0800
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kylie Matthews)
Subject: Re: jerks
>Shawn:
> I asked you not to flame, but you did anyway. Do you get off on
> it?
I'm not even going to bother to reply to all the nasty patriachial stuff
you said in this post Al. Just to say I think Shawn was completely
justified in what she said. She did not flame you. A flame would be a
response like this::
Al, you are a utter bastard.
That's a flame.
What Shawn said was constructive criticism which you do not appear to have
learnt from.
Just for the record I'm angry at your attitude too.
Respectfully,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Interesting: Your people glorified organised violence for 40 centuries,
but you imprison those who employ it privately."
Mr Spock. Star Trek 'Dagger of the Mind'