Mary:

  The reason I keep posting about policy and heavy-handed stuff is that
this is the part where people have not studied or considered much.  Whenever
you want to imprement your idea into practical settings, you have to face with
the policy and economical problems.  Emphasis on corrective individual actions
and very important and I agree wtih you, but these does not go farther unless
these are impremented to ploicy. There is a limit to individual action.  For
example, many collected recycling materials go to dump site because city or
goverment does not have facilities to recycle everytning collected, the cost is
too high.
 For lawn business.  There is a woman who planted beautiful wild flowers on her
yard. Her yard        attracted not only many nature lover visitors but also a
police officer.  She is told that she violates the city ordinance that the
hight of grass should be less than 5 inches in order to keep the consistent
historical aesthecity through out the neighbourhood.

I will post subject of permaculture next time.

Toshihide Hamazaki
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sat Jul  8 13:31:11 1995
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 12:34:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lorraine Pozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bioregionalism
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
In-Reply-To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>


Bioregionalism is one of the most interesting -- and potentially useful --
topics I've seen on this list.  Until we can look at the larger picture
and see how choices made in one area affect many other areas, our
efforts aren't very effective.  Someone said it very well -- "We all
live downstream."  Someone is affecting the water I drink, no matter
where I live. 

I really enjoy the comments and outlook of Toshihide Hamazaki and 
look forward to more of them.

Lorraine Pozzi
__

On Sat, 8 Jul 1995, Toshihide Hamazaki wrote:

    <snip> 
> There is a limit to individual action.  For
> example, many collected recycling materials go to dump site because city or
> goverment does not have facilities to recycle everytning collected, the 
      <snip> 
> Toshihide Hamazaki
> 
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sat Jul  8 19:33:23 1995
 id <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Sun, 09 Jul 1995 13:38:56 +1200
 ; 9 Jul 95 13:34:41 +1200
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 1995 13:34:03 +1200
From: LORIETTE MORRIS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: re: earth as mother.... again
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Organization: Lincoln University

Kia ora

I'm sorry I've gone and dredged up an old subject (you're not 
entitled to speak to me ya-know).  Anyway, apart from latching onto 
the bioregionalism column while I was lurkin' about, I also spotted 
the Earth as Mother discussions (something dear to my heart).  

I was brought up to believe that the Earth is Mother the Sky is 
Father, Papatuanuku and Ranginuietunei.  We are all descended from 
the Earth Mother and Sky Father, particularly the Earth Mother 
because we all return to her one day because we are tangata 
whenua/people born out of the placenta of Mother Earth.  Being 
brought up this way to believe in the existence of these two 
omnipotent atua/deities affects the psyche in ways which may not be 
clearly apparent.  I believe that if one believes the Earth to be 
one's mother then one has to treat her accordingly.  I love my 
mother [my birth mother that is], my mother is all-nurturing with a 
kitchen cupboard that is never empty, however, I would never dream of 
simply taking and taking from her without giving something in return. 
My mother is also a very strong woman who doesn't take sh** from 
anyone/anything, she has her limits, she also has her forgiving side 
where she can forgive the *odd* indiscretion.  

Papatuanuku is a personification of whenua the natural Earth.  Whenua 
is also the term for placenta.  We use the term whenua as a constant 
reminder that we a born out of the womb both of the primeval mother 
for we are like the dust; and out of the human mother.  The natural 
re-sources are the means by which our primeval mother Papatuanuku 
nourishes her human children with water and food, and provides 
clothing and shelter, etc., for all their biological needs.

Papatuanuku is our mother and deserves our love and respect.  She is 
a living organism with her own biological systems and functions.  
Though separated from Ranginuietunei the sky father by their first 
children, he still weeps for her and the rain of his tears provides 
the moisture for her cleansing and drinking.  He gives her light, 
air, warmth, elements needed for her sustenance.  

I believe that within spirituality the change in emphasis from the 
reverence for Mother Earth, and other earthbound atua/gods and 
goddesses to the reverence for the cosmos [something out there]  may 
be seen as an abandonment of the original human relationship and 
reliance on the rest of earth-bound creation.  With the replacement 
of earth-bound symbols of fertility/..., humans were demonstrating 
they were no longer supplicant to nature; they felt they had begun to 
to dominate it.

Just my five-cents worth.

Naku na ano

Nellie

P.S.  I've also read some of Al's comments... not a good look Al.

"Those to whom the land speaks seem to share a different culture from 
those to whom the land is silent".

Loriette NELLIE Morris
Phd student
Centre for Resource Studies
Lincoln University
Canterbury
Aotearoa/New Zealand
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sun Jul  9 10:58:54 1995
    Sun, 9 Jul 95 13:02:52 -600
From: "colt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Organization:  SAIC
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date:          Sun, 9 Jul 1995 13:02:31 EST
Subject:       Re: bioregionalism
Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi-

With all of the ridiculous postings by Al I'd totally tuned this list 
out and was perhaps being a little too liberal with my delete button.  
However, the bioregionalism discussion is great.  I may have missed 
some of the first part, so I wonder if Toshihide (sp?) or someone 
would mind posting a few good background sources of information on 
the topic as a starting point.  Sorry if this request is repetetive.

thanks-

Colton 
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sun Jul  9 16:19:14 1995
Date: Sun,  9 Jul 95 18:07:42 PDT
From: mary hallock morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Colt's book request
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


---------------Included Message---------------
Hi-

With all of the ridiculous postings by Al I'd totally tuned this list 
out and was perhaps being a little too liberal with my delete button.  
However, the bioregionalism discussion is great.  I may have missed 
some of the first part, so I wonder if Toshihide (sp?) or someone 
would mind posting a few good background sources of information on 
the topic as a starting point.  Sorry if this request is repetetive.

thanks-

Colton 
-------------------------------------------

Hi!  I'm not Toshihide, but I can include some of the books I have been 
reading if they would be helpful.  (I hope this isn't too repetitive)

Kirkpatrick Sale -- Dwellers in the Land: The Bioregional Vision
Kirkpatrick Sale -- Mother of us All
V. Andruss, etal -- Home!  A Bioregional Reader (This has a little bit of 
                    everything.  I found it really helpful)
Andrew Dobson -- The Green Reader (this had a few essays)
Brian Tokar -- The Green Alternative (This is the *BEST* book on
               environmentalism that I have read.  In fact, it was the 
               first one that I read and it really got me interested in 
               the whole matter. It's not just about bioregionalism 
               though.)

I also read an article by Stephanie Mills in E Magazine (Sept/Oct. 1991) 
called "Standing in the Places We Live:  Some Sketches of Bioregionalism." 
 If you can get ahold of a copy, it's pretty easy to understand and 
interesting.

Another place that I found some stuff was on the Web.  It wasn't exactly 
bioregionalism, but it *WAS* about community and I did use it in my final 
paper on the subject.  

Mazza, P.  (1995).  Is community coming back? [on-line].  Available: 
http://www.teleport. com:80/~turtle/community2.html

Mazza, P.  (1995)  Planetary sustainability: The neighborhood connection 
[on-line].  Available: http://www.teleport.com:80/~turtle/community1.html


The following article was also interesting, showing where some of the 
ideas of bioregionalism are now in use.

The Sierra Club Critical Ecoregions Program.  (1993).  [on-line].  
Available: http://www.sierraclub.org/ecoregions/ecoregions.html

I hope this is helpful.  It is far from complete and I am sure that others 
can also add to this.

Peace-

Mary


-------------------------------------
Name: mary hallock morris
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mary hallock morris)
Date: 07/09/95
Time: 18:07:42

Grad student: The McGregor School of Antioch U.
              Yellow Springs, Ohio
majoring in Community and Environmental Ed.           

"In Nature, Nothing Exists Alone."  -- Rachel Carson

This message was sent by Chameleon 
-------------------------------------

Reply via email to