Date sent:              Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:44:16 EDT
From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:                     STUDIES IN WOMEN AND ENVIRONMENT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                Re: family size,etc.

> << One of the main reasons we have an ecological crisis at all
>  is because of overpopulation and the overconsumption that follows.
>
>  Melissa  >>
>
> I disagree - The reason we have an ecological crisis is because of GREED and
> power hungry people!
>
> Thanks!
> Angela

Angela, we have a limited amount of space on this earth and an
unlimited ability to reproduce.  How many is too many for you?
Twelve billion?  Twelve TRILLION? When we have a shack built on
every square foot of forest and farm land?   When we must sleep
standing because we're shoulder-to-shoulder and marry the person
born next to us because nobody can move?  Should we, instead of
employing birth control, use the religiously approved traditional
method of death control (starvation, epidemic, poisoned
environment) to limit our numbers?  If chemical plant and logging
barons can be limited in their production due to the precious limited
resources they consume and pollute, why not some of the
(religiously driven - 'go forth and multiply') fundamentalist baby
factories we have out there trying to swamp both the earth and the
gene pool with their prodigious progeny, attempting to have their
archaic antifeminist and antiecological views prevail by sheer weight
of numbers?  Rights correlate with responsibilities, and good
stewardship demands that we do not have more foresters than trees.
 I have agreed with you on some points, but you are hopelessly
wrongheaded on this issue