Hi!

Since we were talking about white supremists groups and hate crimes - I
forwarded this message I read from another list - 10 Ways to Combat Hate.

Thanks!
Angela

Subject: Alternatives to Censorship

>Here are some ways to combat hate speech, rather than censorship.
>
>Taken from the Southern Poverty Law Center web site:
>http://www.splcenter.org/klanwatch/kw-3.html
>
>[For fair use.  No permission to reprint is implied.]
>=================
>Ten Ways to Fight Hate
>
>A Community Response Guide to Hate Crime and Hate Groups
>
>Headline: Hate comes in many forms.
>
>It can be stark --- from anti-Semitic graffiti and the racist chanting of
>Klansmen to brutal assaults by Skinheads. It can also be subtle --- from
>the reasoned racism of modern neo-Nazi leaders to the pseudo-
>intellectualism of those who claim that the Holocaust did not occur.
>But whatever form it takes, an expression of hatred usually causes an
>intense reaction in a community.
>
>Although some people argue that hate crimes and hate groups should be
>ignored, many others look for ways to express their opposition and to send
>an unequivocal message that racism and bigotry will not be tolerated in
>their community.
>
>What follows are 10 ways to fight hate, drawn from Klanwatch's experience
>monitoring white supremacist groups and hate crimes and from successful
>methods used by communities throughout the country.
>
>They are not the only ways to fight hatred, but they are a place to start.
>
>1. STAY AWAY FROM WHITE SUPREMACIST EVENTS
>
>2. ORGANIZE AN ALTERNATIVE EVENT
>
>3. DON'T TRY TO STOP WHITE SUPREMACIST EVENTS
>
>4 PLACE ADS IN THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER
>
>5. FORM COMMUNITY ANTI-RACISM GROUPS
>
>6. RESPOND QUICKLY TO HATE CRIMES WITH A SHOW OF UNITY
>
>7. FOCUS ON VICTIM ASSISTANCE
>
>8. RESEARCH HATE CRIME LAWS IN YOUR COMMUNITY AND STATE
>
>9. ENCOURAGE MULTI- CULTURAL EDUCATION IN LOCAL SCHOOLS
>
>10. FIND UNIQUE WAYS TO SHOW OPPOSITION
>

>1. STAY AWAY FROM WHITE SUPREMACIST EVENTS
>
>When hate groups announce plans to march or rally, people are often unsure
>about the proper response.
>
>It is tempting, but counterproductive and often dangerous, to confront
>white supremacists at their public events.
>
>The principal reason is that violence by counterprotesters is becoming
>commonplace at white supremacist rallies and marches. Some anti-racist
>demonstrators travel from rally to rally, actually hoping to provoke
>violent confrontations with the racists. Others may attend the event
>simply to protest peacefully, only to find themselves enraged by the
>inflammatory rhetoric and caught up in the violence.
>
>White supremacists are skilled at turning such situations to their
>advantage, gloating that the violence came from protesters, not the hate
>group.

>In Denver, violence marred the 1992 Martin Luther King holiday when angry
>protesters at a Klan rally attacked each other, bystanders and police. One
>anti-Klan demonstrator was seriously injured by another counterprotester,
>and three police officers were hurt. Twenty-one people were arrested.
> [...]

            You needn't be a member to help build human power
       The POTENTIAL is in your hands ~ start a local study group
               For details, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

          John Watkins  Executive Director  The Simple Society
  303 Amherst St.  Nashua, NH 03063  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://simsoc.org

Institute For Social Ecology - http://ise.rootmedia.org/