Mark Davis's article correctly points out that very few extinctions --
especially of plants -- can be attributed to competition, but note that
he suggests two possible explanations.  One of these is simply that
competitive exclusion is slow in plants.  This is consistent with a wide
range of studies of island biogeography (when islands are isolated from
larger land masses, plant communities have a very long 'relaxation time'
to the new equilibrium), and a number of recent studies addressing what
has come to be called 'extinction debt'.

This last may be a critically important concept for long-term thinking
about conservation; populations can linger for a long time in a status
where extinction is a virtual certainty over the long-term.  This is
likely to be particularly a problem in plants.  Mature plants can be
both extremely long-lived and tolerant of conditions (including
competition) that severely limit recruitment -- a good formula for a
'walking dead' population that might not be readily recognized as doomed.

In any case I suspect one could document from existing studies
populations of native species have been substantially reduced in
number/density by invasives (Davis cites a few relevant studies).
Reduced population size is equivalent to increased risk of extinction,
at least locally; that's fundamental population biology.

Davis makes several plausible arguments why competition is unlikely to
become important as the DIRECT cause of extinctions due to introduced
species (these don't exclude the possibility that competition would make
species more vulnerable to other direct causes).  But it's also likely
that is one of those situations, so common in ecology, where the lag
between cause and effect (at least obvious or irreversible effect) makes
it very difficult to assess what's happening empirically (and to
demonstrate the risk to people without good grasp of the principles)...

Kerry D. Woods
Natural Sciences
Bennington College
Bennington VT 05201