As we all know, extinction or the threat of extinction is, in many cases,
due to outright habitat loss.  If the remaining habitat is invaded by a
non-native plant that alters the function of the habitat, the endangered
species may be pushed that much closer to extinction or, as another reader
said, local extirpation.  And highly endangered species can't handle too
much local extirpation.  I don't think we can look for the single event or
cause that drives a species to extinction because more often than not it is
probably due to the cumulative effect of many threats (invasive species,
habitat loss, climate change, etc.)

A very interesting study came out last year showing the effects of removing
grazing from vernal pools in the Central Valley of CA.  These vernal pools
provide habitat for a large number of endangered plants, invertebrates, and
a few vertebrates.  When grazing was excluded for three years from sites
that had historical grazing, the cover of non-native grasses increased 88%,
native plant species richness declined 25%, and aquatic invertebrate
richness declined 28%.  With regard to function, the hyrdoperiod of the
pools decreased 50-80%.  For a threatened species like the CA tiger
salamander that needs 3-6 months to metamorphose from larva to adult, this
functional change has very important ramifications.

This whole scenario includes many causes that occurred over at least a 150
year period - widespread habitat loss, loss of native herbivores,
introduction of cattle/sheep, and introduced plants.  The point is that the
exotic plant may not be the ultimate cause but rather the straw that broke
the salamander's, fairy shrimp's, and endangered plant's back.

The reference is:

Marty, J.T.  2005.  Effects of cattle grazing on diversity in ephemeral
wetlands.  Conservation Biology. 19:1626-1632.