Dear colleagues,

I am sad to report that gross gender differences do exist.

I never felt any sexual bias in undergraduate (University of Chicago) or
graduate school (Harvard).  However, now in the work place I am shocked at the
pay discrimination between sexes. The overwhelming claim is that men "need to
support a family"  and women... well...  Huh?  It's disgusting.

So if you are a fresh female PhD be EXTREMELY careful about your contract
negotiations, talk with your advisors or others before you ever start
negotiations as to how to negotiate and never let it leak how much you would
like the position.  Do your homework! Make sure you aren't being taken
advantage of while your male colleagues armed with only a Masters degree, less
experience, fewer successes and 1/4 the work of you earn as much or more.....

I hope advisors will speak to grauate students about these issues.  I think the
hiring and negotiation process is too rarely discussed and left to chance.

Renee