I concur that Edward J. Larson is an outstanding historian of
science, especially on the history of creationism.  I've used three
of his books, Summer for the Gods (for which he won the Pulitzer
Prize in history),  Trial and Error and Evolution: The Remarkable
History of a Scientific Theory, in my course From Ape to Madonna: The
Evolution of Humankind. This course fulfills a Social Impact of
Science guideline that is part of my institution's general education
curriculum.  I use Larson's books in that part of the course that
examines the social dimensions of evolutionary ideas---especially
Social Darwinism, eugenics, and the continuing debate over teaching
evolution and creationism.  His books are excellent and very accessible.

Another historian of science who is also excellent is Ronald L.
Numbers, Professor of the History of Science and Medicine at the
University of Wisconsin-Madison.  Among his books are The
Creationists, Darwinism Comes to America and Disseminating Darwinism:
The Role of Place, Race, Religion, and Gender.

I'd recommend them both.

Frank T. Kuserk, Ph.D.
Professor of Biological Sciences and
Director, Environmental Studies Program