Ho Boy. Here we go. This is a potential source of evidence for many school
board discussions on whether to teach creationism alongside science. (I
wonder why they consider astronomy an appropriate field for the journal?).
Jim! You are good to bring this up. We should all take a lesson from the
active misinformation campaigns against global warming, linking cancer and
tobacco, and, historically, against the scientific consensus that SDI (Star
Wars) would not work. These are all attacks on science itself, and should
be addressed as such. (Please not that I am not talking about dissenting
scientific opinion, but about directed attacks towards a specific
political, economic  or religious outcome.)

At last years Meeting of the American Geophysical Union, there were plenty
of speakers and panels discussing how we address these issues in the pubic.
I think at ESA, there are also such discussions. I am glad to see that
there is some organization around educating the public (that portion of the
public not currently in school) on these science matters. Evolution is
surely another field that we can publicly counter the misinformation.

What can we say, definitively?

Evolution is a foundational principle in both Geology and Biology.
Evolution is a fact.
Knowledge about  evolution (the fact that species change over time)
pre-dates Darwin.
Darwin's Theory describes the Mechanism of evolution....the Theory of
evolution by Natural Selection.
Natural selection has been observed in many instances, and evidence for
evolution comes from multiple lines of evidence in multiple fields.

If you write a letter to the editor and that's all you say, you'd be on
solid ground. It's worth reminding people.

Kelly