Only Turkey is worse.  Former Soviet Republics and countries with lower
overall literacy score higher than us.  I know we can do better than this.
The fundamentalists are winning the hearts and minds of the American public=
.

Acceptance of Evolution as fact:

 Evolution Less Accepted in U.S. Than Other Western Countries, Study
Finds James
Owen
for National Geographic News <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/>

August 10, 2006
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060810-evolution.html

On 5/3/07, Kelly Decker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thank you for your good work, David.
>
> I certainly agree that these journals have been around a long time. But
> your contention that their impact is "nil" only pertains to the scientifi=
> field. I have heard parroted findings from the institute in Ohio, Arcata,
> and Napa. They are issuing talking points, and they are having an effect.
>
> Would you now care to address the underlying concern wit hthe original
> post? That we are not doing a good job of educating the public?
>
> A March 2007 Newsweek poll state that only 48% of americans believe that
> Evolution is supported by scientific evidence and accepted by the
> scientific community; 39% disagree; and 13% said they didn't know.
>
> That's kind of dismal, don't you think?
>
> Those people who do the damage get their ammunition and talking points
> from
> places like ICR.
>
> This is a real problem. It's an active disinformation campaign.
>
> I am not suggesting hysteria, just that people in science stop letting
> misinformation pass by without being answered. (Not you personally, all
> scientists) If more of us do that, there's less work. I write back and
> forth with both Global Warming deniers and Evolution deniers in my local
> paper. It's exhausting.

> At 08:54 AM 5/3/2007, David M. Lawrence wrote:
> >Get to know me better before accusing me of being "blas=E9'" on the
> subject.
> >Read my posts, too.  I haven't argued AGAINST more public outreach, and =
> >think my running (hosting) of the Virginia list in the AIBS/NCSE network
> >shows that I do more than just "talk" about the problem.
> >
> >The topic was presented as if we are facing a crisis because of this
> "new"
> >"peer-reviewed" journal.  I'm just pointing out a fact -- journals such
> as
> >this have been around a long time.  Most of the public does not read
> these
> >journals, nor do they care to.  The impact of this journal, like it's
> >predecessor, and at least one similar journal still in existence, is nil=
.

> >More damage is done by people like a certain president who profess
> "faith"
> >in scientific concepts they really don't know anything about, by
> political
> >leaders (especially school board members) that exploit religion for
> earthly
> >power, and by poorly trained news media that parrot the most inane
> nonsense
> >under the guise of presenting "both" sides of an issue.
> >
> >If you want to get worked up, get worked up about real problems.  This
> >journal ain't one of them.
> >
> >I've been fighting this battle a long damn time -- since the equal-time
> law
> >was introduced in Louisiana in the 1980s.  I think I've got a pretty goo=
> >handle on the issue, thank you.

> [...]

--=20
James L. Sparks Jr. M.Sc.
Freelance Ecology
4530 E. Seminary Ave.
Richmond, VA 23227
804.426.2479 (cell)

"Quis custodiet ipso custodes?" -Juvenal