John,

While I am sure that we all appreciate the thoughtfulness and time you
put into this email, I am not sure that we are doing apologetics for any
particular point of view, but rather we are discussing how to maintain a
critical and scientific perspective faced with a strong movement towards
fundamentalist teachings in our schools.

Perhaps it is very useful for scientists to understand the perspectives
of those we are confronting, but it is also incumbent on them to
understand ours.

And, while on some scales Catholic=Baptist, to a Catholic or Baptist,
they are not equal.

And, also, while the Church states that reason and faith are never
contradictory, it turns out that that is only true for faith-based
reason. For example, reason can come up with some pretty good reasons
for abortion, but faith may not be able to. But that is not the issue here.

As an aside, when fundamentalists are fighting scientific teachings in
their schools, the fundamentalists are seldom, if ever, Catholic.

Cheers,

Jim

--
James J. Roper, Ph.D. <http://jjroper.googlepages.com/home>