I am posting this message to solicit advice.   My situation is that I
graduated in 2000 with a B.S. in wildlife biology with an abysmal GPA:
2.77.   During school and since I’ve done a lot of technician type jobs in
the fields of wildlife and ecology but at 30 years old I no longer find
these types of positions intellectually fulfilling, feel that I can
contribute more, and would like to pursue a graduate education.   I took
the GRE for the first time this year (with 2 weeks to prepare) in order to
apply for a RA (didn’t get it).   My scores are 720 quantitative, 580
verbal.   I can likely do better.
So my question is how can I pursue a graduate education with a less then
stellar GPA?  Is it even possible?  Would taking classes help?  Classes
would be expensive, as I’ve moved a lot for the temporary jobs and do not
qualify for instate tuition anywhere.
In hindsight I should’ve taken undergraduate education more seriously, but
I feel I’ve gained experience and maturity since then and that it is
really time to move forward.
I am particularly interested in advice from those who have served as
graduate advisors and from those who have completed a M.S. despite having
a low undergraduate GPA.
Thanks.