Actually, I would say that an A is much easier to get these days with
grade inflation.  When I took comparative anatomy under Lauren Brown the
class dominated our life, staying in the lab until 2 & 3 am every night
just to get a B.  Now I see many students with As in that course that
can't tell you basic anatomy.  So, that is why high grades are
increasingly important (in my opinion) since they are frankly easier to
get.  Or, at least there are enough "easy" schools around to water down
the crop.

However, grades are not everything.  You aren't going to get funding in
your situation, so that is unrealistic.  What you can do is rack up a few
minor publications.  Contact a professor who you are interested in working
with and ask them if you can work on a project with them.  Or, go to your
local university and do the same.  My guess is that you can get at least a
couple of minor papers pretty easily.  This will go a long way to getting
into graduate school.  Why?  Because graduate school is more about
producing new knowledge than learning former knowledge.  People who prove
they can publish are few.  In fact, I know a lot of PHDs who seldom
publish anything, meanwhile you have several BS and MS people who publish
out there ears.  Its not that hard to do, just people get lazy.  Or maybe
I should say publishing isn't hard, but publishing in good journals is.
Ecology is hard to get a paper in, it is not so difficult to get published
in a naturalist journal.

If you need guidance in setting up an easy project to work on in your
spare time, I'm sure many people would help you out.

MLM

If you are willing to pay your own way, you also have no issue.  In the
states there are a lot of programs.