I think not.
What you are speaking of is more appropriately placed in the environmental
science/studies degree programs rather than ecology.  Mixing these two
programs would do a disservice to both majors.

On Thu, August 16, 2007 9:39 pm, LOREN BYRNE wrote:
> This question about undergrad requirements for ecology programs prompts me
> to throw out to the community a general question that I have pondered for
> years:
> Given the increasingly recognized importance of integrating the social
> sciences into ecology for topics such as ecosystem services, urban
> ecology, etc., is it time to begin shifting our ecology education paradigm
> toward inclusion of "non-traditional" courses as suggested correlative
> courses, if not requirements, in ecology curricula, i.e., courses in
> sociology, economics and maybe even communications?
> Many might argue (legitimately so in my opinion) that such social science
> courses could be more important and beneficial for students who want to go
> into conservation biology or environmental management fields than the
> standard "full year of chemistry and physics."
>
> cheers
>  Loren

Malcolm L. McCallum
Assistant Professor of Biology
Editor Herpetological Conservationa and Biology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]