I think that a geology course is important for ecologists,
particularly those that go on to focus on plants.  One possibility is
making a geology course an optional substitute for one of your upper
level biology courses.

At 02:26 PM 8/16/2007, Jonathan Horton wrote:
>Colleagues,
>
>We are considering revising our course curriculum for our B.S.
>Biology degree with a concentration in Ecology and Evolutionary
>Biology.  Many of us feel that more training in statistics and
>experimental design will be beneficial to our graduates seeking
>professional positions and entry into research-based graduate
>programs.  Our current requirements are as follows:
>
>1. A core curriculum (16 hours) required of all Biology majors that
>includes introductory Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Cellular and
>Molecular Biology, Botany and Zoology
>2.  Chemistry (Introductory I and II with lab, Organic I and either
>Biochemistry with a lab or Organic II with a lab
>3. Two semesters of Physics
>4. Calculus and one semester of introductory statistics
>5. And many upper level biology courses
>
>With our general education requirements (we are a public Liberal
>Arts College), this makes it a full 4 to 4.5 year schedule for graduation.
>
>We are discussing cutting back on the amount of chemistry (through
>Organic I) and Physics (only 1 semester) and instead having our
>students take additional courses in Statistics (Linear Regression
>and Anova) and experimental design and analysis.
>
>My questions to the group is this:  What are the entrance
>requirements to ecology graduate programs in terms of course
>work?  Which would better prepare students for a research-based
>graduate program or professional position, additional chemistry and
>physics or additional statistical training.
>
>We would not want to limit our graduates chances of entering a
>graduate program by failing to meet entrance requirements in terms
>of supplemental science coursework.  Please provide your thoughts.
>Feel free to answer off the list.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jonathan
>
>--
>*************************
>Jonathan Horton Ph.D.
>Department of Biology
>One University Heights
>UNC-Asheville CPO#2440
>Asheville, NC 28804
>Phone: (828)232-5152
>Fax: (828)251-6623
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dr. Laurie Anderson (Laurel J. Anderson)
Associate Professor
Dept. of Botany/Microbiology
Ohio Wesleyan University
Delaware, OH 43015