-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steve Brewer
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:54 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: population control

As an ecologist, I am certainly sensitive to the environmental
consequences of unchecked population growth, and as a proud father of
three, I nonetheless respect (and during moments of weakness envy)
the decision of couples not to have children. I try to do what I can
for the environment by limiting my personal carbon/pollution
footprint (riding a bike to work, buying locally, etc.). I realize
that it is the not the same as having fewer children.

I wonder how many ecologists in the U.S., however, have considered
that producing children is necessary to keep Social Security from
collapsing. Are we comfortable with allowing a particular class to
shoulder the burden of keeping this popular program solvent? Have we
considered the political ramifications of a socioeconomic/cultural
divide in fertility as it relates to this social safety net? It seems
at least plausible that we may end up with workers paying a
regressive payroll tax to support relatively affluent retirees who
didn't have children, but who had good enough health care while
working to outlive their working class cohorts who did have children.
This seems even more likely when you consider that we're apparently
in a race to the bottom to get rid of health care benefits for the
working class, while at the same being unwilling to do anything about
the long-term solvency of Social Security.

Steve Brewer

--
Department of Biology
PO Box 1848