Last Chance to See is not a serious scientific discussion of environmental problems. There is a fair amount of humor and generally fun-to-read stories of Adams' adventures with biologists. However, it is interspersed with quite a bit of the biology of the species he goes to see, a good bit of cultural context, interesting descriptions of efforts to sustain declining populations (ecotourism, habitat restoratin, relocation, and breeding programs), and some brief discussion of some of the causes of extinction (poaching, habitat loss, invasive species). I don't remember Adams expounding on the way things ought to be. It's a great book to launch more serious discussion of environmental problems. The book is fun to read, which is important for non-majors summer reading assignments, and gives it a chance at getting previously uninterested students interested in conservation biology.
-Kathleen