Forgive me if I am repeating an entry, but I don't remember seeing the
following yet (although, distracted by my thesis proposal, I haven't followed
the thread precisely)...
I strongly recommend Jared Diamond's Collapse.  With regard to your target
audience, I am hard-pressed to think of another environmentally oriented book
couched so appropriately for a general audience.  Also, some other books to
consider:

The Green Reader (edited by Andrew Dobson)- not a bad general introduction to a
diverse array of environmental topics.
The Future of Life (by E.O. Wilson)- not as general, but a good read
nonetheless.
A New Species of Trouble (by Kai Erikson)- this has more of a taste of
environmental sociology and is geared towards technological disasters, but it
could open their eyes and generate quite a lot of discussion.

I hope this wasn't redundant and proves at least somewhat helpful.

-Josh
Joshua B. LaPergola
Graduate TA
Biology Department, Villanova University
Office: Mendel 192
Spring '08 Office Hours: Thursdays, 2:55-4:55
Phone: 610.519.5382
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]