I agree completely with the concerns expressed by Cara.  We need vehicles to
conduct business. When our business is outside in remote places a dependable
one is essential.  We also need vehicles for our private personal needs.
When people are required to use their own vehicle for work who should
determine that they should have more than one vehicle for field work and one
for personal use/needs.  Suggesting that we use VW buses now is silly, they
were a good idea back in the 60s, but now they would not be, and for good
reason.

Steve

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I'm a tad confused as to just who these ecologists are that Paul
> Cherubini is talking about.  This isn't the first time he's commented on
> the supposed posh-ness of our field-work-commuting vehicles.  Have we
> any stats as to the cars we drive--as well as when, why, and how we
> drive them?
>
> I do see his point that on a planet where car-emissions (and everything
> else about the automobile culture) are huge contributors to global
> warming which threatens pretty much everything we as ecologists are
> studying (and working for), it does seem a double-standard to have
> ecologists driving 4WD off-road SUVs to the office.  So, my next
> question is: do I have to reject field work because it requires access
> to (or ownership of) a field-worthy vehicle?  In many places, especially
> in the US, if I've not got wheels, I cannot get to the study site.
>
> CL

> Cara Lin Bridgman
>
> P.O. Box 013          Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
> Longjing Sinjhuang
> Taichung County 434
> Taiwan
> http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/<http://megaview.com.tw/%7Ecaralin/>