To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] McDonough - I don't think so

In Cuba it's routine to see 40-60 year old cars on the road.
Cuban's realize a car's body and frame can last indefinately
and all the drivetrain and suspension componets can be
replaced as they wear out. Modern components such as
engines with emission controls can also be installed
in these old vehicles.

But I don't believe the ecologists and environmental activists
in the first world countries could stomach driving 30 year
old, let alone 50 year old vehicles for a variety of comfort and
convenience reasons such as: they can't accelerate and corner
fast, they take some muscle to steer and brake (no power
steering or power brakes) must be manually shifted, don't
have air bags, crash protection beams in the doors and so forth.

Practical example: 30-40 years ago the standard workhorse
field vehicle for an ecologist was a Volkswagen Bus with a
4 cylinder engine, manual transmission, no air conditioning,
marginal high speed cornering capability and took 25 seconds
to accelerate from 0 - 60 MPH. Despite it's substantial size and
interior roominess, a VW Bus weighed only 3000 pounds because
it wasn't burdened with all the comfort, convenience and safety
features todays ecologists and activists demand such as a
powerful engine, all wheel drive, automatic transmission,
power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, heavy steel
beams in the doors and dashboard for crash protection, and
so forth.  Now ask yourself: would today's ecologists and
activists in the first world countries be enthusiastically willing
to buy old VW Buses instead of heavy and powerful Subaru's
4Runners and Jeeps to help save the planet if the VW's were
still available?