Bob,
You say "McDonough is like the Toyota ads...".
Having read Cradle to Cradle, I really don't see how your simile is valid. I don't think the Prius even approaches what McDonough is calling for in his call for a redesign.. in fact, I think he would say the Prius is just efficiency which is a bad thing... just slowing/ prolonging the inevitable. I love McDonough's extrapolation of "efficiency"... would you want an efficient Nazi? Would efficient sex be a good thing? No to both. If you came away from Cradle to Cradle thinking the Prius is the answer called for in the book, then you need to read it again.

From a Prius driver, (efficient but sadly not effective)

Erin A. Scheessele
Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology
Willamette University