(513)-529-3175
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news [EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David H. Byman [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 1:15 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Catching soil invertebrates

Dear All: I would like to do a comparative study of soil macroinvertebrates
inside and outside a deer exclosure.  As I am interested in evaluating the
available of shrew food as affected by heavy deer browsing, I would like to
census the populations of snails, slugs, earthworms and insect larvae inside
and outside the exclosure fence.
        Are pitfall  traps the best technique for all these invertebrate
groups?  If pitfalls are a good technique, should I put a layer of glycerol or
some other preservative to preserve the animals in the bottom of the can in
case I can't visit the traps more than once a week?  Thanks for your help.
                                                                Dave Byman

David Byman
Asst. Prof. Biology
Penn State University