Dave et al.,

I've been using both pitfall trap and Berlese sampling methods to survey leaf
litter arthropods in Costa Rica for the last year.  For the pitfall traps I'm
using small, ~150ml cups in which I put ~30ml of 75% ethanol alcohol with a few
drops of liquid soap, to break the surface tension.  I place the trap at least
4-7 days prior to the first use (to minimize disturbance, e.g., to ant
colonies) and check them after 4 days of sampling.  The alcohol does attract
bark beetles (Coleoptera:Curculionidae:Scolytinae), but I've never caught any
small mammals, though I did once catch a small anole.  Pitfall traps are good
for capturing larger and more active organisms in the leaf litter, but it will
capture very few sessile organisms (including many insect larvae) or organisms
living within the soil itself, as the cup is placed with the top aligned with
the soil surface.

Berlese sampling involves collecting leaf litter and/or soil - typically either
a predefined volume or area - then placing it into a Tullgren/Berlese funnel
(see, e.g.,
http://www.emanco.ca/eman/ecotools/protocols/terrestrial/arthropods/soil-litt.html).
  The litter is placed into a funnel with an inset piece of mesh, and suspended
over a jar of 75-95% ethanol, with a light source just above the litter.  As
the litter dries, the arthropods move away from the heat and fall into the
ethanol.  This method also captures fairly active organisms, but will capture
more sessile organisms than the pitfall traps.

To fully sample leaf litter and/or soil, and capture the sessile organisms, I'd
recommend using the Winkler method (see, e.g.,
http://viceroy.eeb.uconn.edu/ALAS/winkler00.html), where litter is chopped up
and sifted then suspended in a bag over a container of ethanol with a light
source at the top of the bag.

Here are a few good survey papers and a brief from the Biological Survey of
Canada which discuss the merits of various methods:

Cooper, R.J., and R.C. Whitmore.  1990.  Arthropod sampling methods in
ornithology.  Studies in Avian Biology 13:29-37.

Delabie, J.H., B.L. Fisher, J. Majer, J., and I.W. Wright. 2000. Sampling
effort and choice of methods, pp. 145-154.  In: Agosti, D., J.D. Majer, L.
Alonso, and T. Schultz [eds.], Measuring and monitoring biodiversity: standard
methods for ground-dwelling ants. Smithsonian Institution   Press, Washington
D.C.

Edwards, C.A.  1991.  The assessment of populations of soil-inhabiting
invertebrates.  Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 34:145-176.

Parr, C.L., and S.L. Chown.  2001.  Inventory and bioindicator sampling:
testing pitfall and Winkler methods with ants in a South African savanna.
Journal of Insect Conservation 5:27-36.

TERRESTRIAL ARTHROPOD BIODIVERSITY: PLANNING A STUDY AND RECOMMENDED SAMPLING
TECHNIQUES
A Brief Prepared by the Biological Survey of Canada (Terrestrial Arthropods)
1994\
http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/briefs/brterrestrial.htm

Cheers,
Nicole Michel

Nicole Michel
Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
400 Boggs Hall
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118
Fax: 504-862-8706