Dave

In my experiences with pitfall traps, I don't recall capturing many
earthworms. I have captured occasional snails, slugs, and some larvae,
more likely to capture insect nymphs. If you do use pitfall traps, I have
always used propylene glycol as the killing agent/preservative, 2-4 cm
deep, since it isn't too attractive to insects or mammals. This is the
main ingredient in low toxicity antifreeze and most boat/RV antifreeze.
The labels are pretty clear regarding the ingredients. I wouldn't use
ethylene glycol, main ingredient in most other antifreeze. This is
attractive to insects and mammals. Since pitfall traps are usually
passive, an attractant isn't usually wanted. Even using propylene glycol,
you will capture some mammals in pitfall traps; shrews and voles are the
most common in my experience. Checking traps every week or 2 weeks is
acceptable, I have done both for different studies.

For sampling earthworms, I would think soil cores (10-15 x 25 cm?) or
small soil pits (25 x 25 x 25 cm?) would be the most effective technique.
Sieve the soil and remove the earthworms.

Jordan

--
Jordan M. Marshall, Ph.D.

School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
Michigan Technological University
Cooperative Emerald Ash Borer Project
5936 Ford Ct. Suite 200
Brighton, MI 48116