Fringe attacks on invasion biology are completely without merit. The idea
that a negative attitude toward invasive species is founded in, or a kin
to, xenophobia or Nazi attitudes is ridiculous. It's historic
precursor-hunting, not a swig of history. But equally troubling are
statements of "benefits" to biodiversity. Perhaps this stems from the
wrong-headed view that the goal of ecology, or management, is always to
maximize biodiversity.  The fact is that ecosystems can be radically
altered by species introductions. The fact is that such alterations
include wholesale shifts in communities, even when native species are not
completely extirpated, including homogenization where communities become
similarly populated when they once were completely different. This is
occurring  on an unnatural spatial and temporal scale due to man's
actions. Zebra mussels are in continental Europe because of canals, in
North America because of international cargo shipping, and bird migration
could never have done that. It's bad because such introductions have
hugely harmful effects. True, some effects of some exotic species can be
counting as benefits, e.g. if you like clearer water then dreissenids have
done you a service. But at what price? Biofouling and costly mitigation,
extirpation of local fauna, and possible ties to harmful algal blooms and
benthic community changes that result in collapsing fish populations. So
even if you do not value native ecosystems at all, invasive species can be
a huge drain on local and national economies. And if you are in the
business of exploiting the environment (e.g. fishing, logging, providing
recreational activities to tourists), you want sustainability. The last
thing you want is to upset the status quo, let alone obliterate it, as
species introductions can do. Not to mention nuisance effects such as wild
population swings resulting in fish kills washing onshore, catastrophic
tree death resulting in increased fire risk, and new vectors delivering
new new human and animal pathogens.

Further, the notion that all sides of an argument should be presented
equally in class is a disservice to students, because it elevates weak and
invalid arguments to equal status with well-supported conclusions. After
all, we do not teach that the earth may be flat or hollow, that air, fire,
and water may be elements, or that evil spirits may cause disease simply
because someone somewhere has believed it. Oh, and the fringe on this
subject is far from objective, having began with commercial horticulture
combating the idea that perhaps exotic ornamentals should not be planted
for risk of harmful invasions.

Check out: Simberloff, D., 2003, "Confonting introduced species: a form of
xenphobia?", Biological Invasions, 5:179-192.

Sincerely,

Dave Raikow

David F.  Raikow, Ph. D
Research Aquatic Ecologist

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
National Exposure Research Laboratory (NERL)
26 W. Martin Luther King Dr.
Cincinnati, OH, 45268

513-569-7383 (Office)
513-569-7609 (Fax)
513-646-1759 (Cell)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidraikow

Kelly Stettner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: "Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news"
<ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
10/02/2008 10:12 AM
Please respond to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]