Of course, if burning bush is not invasive in Vermont, or if the invasion is
still in its early stages, Kelly will not find it crowding out the natives
in the local woodlands.  What, exactly, would that mean?  Is there an
invasive species that's found to be invasive absolutely everywhere it's
introduced?  Why invasive species are not invasive everywhere is one of the
major questions in conservation biology, but it's foolish to dismiss the
entire concept of biological invasions just because there are cases where a
notorious invader fails to invade.

Millions of people with HIV don't have AIDS.  Most smokers never get lung
cancer.  Most of the time, when someone drives somewhere drunk, they arrive
safely at their destination.  Should we conclude that HIV, smoking, and
drunk driving are all harmless?

--
James Crants
PhD, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology