Kelly,
Thanks for your speedy reply. I agree that actions based on fear are often
futile and rash, however I don't thing that conservation should only be
applied to cases where something of "value" is in danger--unless you
consider unique and variable ecosystems to all have value, which I do, and
thus it always applies. I agree, human introductions do not outnumber
"natural ones"--all introductions before we evolved are obviously
"natural"-- what I was referencing is the frequency with which these
introductions occur. Human introductions occur at a higher rate than
"natural" ones. I agree that without change there is stagnation, but
evolution works at a rate that sometimes cannot handle the effects of our
"snapshot in time." To argue that all change is good simply puts you in a
position of defending anyone's right to do whatever...why stop pollution,
urban sprawl, or strip mining? They're all just change...
I agree that conservation efforts are "dependent" on our heartstrings--that
is why red wolves and pandas adorn our calenders. However, is there any
point to conservation, does anything have any "value," except from an
emotional point of view? Is human utilitarianism a valid method of ascribing
"value" to anything?

*-*Peter

P.S. I think tardigrades are so freakin' cute!

--
Peter Coffey
UNC Asheville