If talking about fruit fly research is hurting McCain's poll numbers, it's
mostly because he's talking about FRUIT FLY RESEARCH.  As Samuel Johnson
said, "the sight of the gallows doth wonderfully concentrate the mind."  We
have a lot of very big problems that only good governance can solve,
and voters aren't getting as distracted as usual by trivia like a few
millionths of the federal budget going to studies on fruit flies and bears.

--
James Crants
PhD, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology