As someone who has done basic research on butterflies with some NSF support, I'm grateful to those who have come to its defense in this forum.

But as someone who also does research on tephritid fruit flies, I note that Gov. Palin's criticism of fruit fly research in Paris, France appears to refer to a management-related research project on the olive fly, Bactrocera oleae. I had assumed until recently that she was referring to Drosophila work, and there seems to be some confusion in the media on this point.

An informative opinion piece on Gov. Palin's remarks and the fly research at issue can be found at:
http://www.salon.com/env/feature/2008/10/27/sarah_palin_fruit_flies/index.html

The research in question was promoted by a California congressman and undoubtedly supported by California's fast-growing olive industry. California growers are traditionally strong supporters of agricultural research and olive fly is a potentially devastating pest. Integrated pest management of tephritid flies has had numerous successes, in our country and abroad, successes achieved in part or in whole through the funding of various governments. Just because a special interest supports a project doesn't mean the project is not in the public's interest as well. As the Salon.com piece states, the USDA warned in 2004, "The recent establishment of the olive fruit fly ... in California has threatened to destroy the U.S. olive industry." I'm perplexed that Gov. Palin would use USDA research on olive fly as evidence of government spending that is not for the public good. If potential direct benefits to a growing sector in U.S. agriculture have "little or nothing to do with the public good", what does?

As for the 210K (out of ca. 750K) allocated to work in 'Paris France', the olive fly hails from the Mediterranean region, and Europeans have researched the fly for decades. It is at least conceivable that the allocation is justifiable.

Dan Papaj

Daniel R. Papaj
Professor and Associate Head
University of Arizona